Consortium leader: University of Ghana
Countries involved: Benin, Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo, Sao Tome & Principe and Mauritania.
The Marine and Coastal Areas Management in western Africa project provides five operational services using Earth observation tools:
- potential fishing zone charts overlaid with vessel traffic,
- monitoring and forecasting oceanographic variables,
- Forecasts of ocean conditions disseminated as SMS alerts
- coastal vulnerability indices and
- mapping of coastal and ecosystem/ habitats.
All products are accessible via the project’s geoportal, click here. The main datasets and products available on this portal are obtained from numerous
sources including the Regional Marine Centre, European Space Agency, the EU’s Copernicus Marine Service, EUMETSAT and Plymouth Marine Laboratories.